Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Time to X Out Cervical Cancer with Cervarix

I've considered getting the cervical cancer vaccine before, but it was when I attended Andi Manzano's Bridal Shower this month that enlightened and convinced me to finally do it.

Now, I'll be sharing with you some facts and a bit of my experience with this vaccine.


Everyone who attended Andi's Bridal Shower got the gift of a full course HPV vaccine, courtesy of GlaxoSmithKline and Healthway Medical. This is one of the most precious gifts I've received, since it can possibly save my life.

Cervarix is a non-infections recombiant, bivalent vaccine that protects against HPV types 16 and 18. (HPV 16 and 18 are responsible for approximately 70% of cervical cancer.) This vaccine is prepared from highly purified virus-like particles without viral DNA, which means it cannot infect cells, reproduce, or cause disease.


The full course of this vaccine means 3 shots in a 0-1-6 months interval. Meaning, if I took the first shot on November 2013, my second would be in December 2013, and the third would be in May 2014. Upon the completion of this vaccination process, there would be no more need for boosters, and you'll be protected from HPV 16 and 18 for up to 20 years.

At Healthway Medical, each shot of Cervarix costs approximately P2,500.00. Since I got my vaccine for free, I was charged P400.00 for doctor's screening and consultation. (I am not certain if the vaccine would be charged as P2,500.00 on regular circumstances, or P2,900.00 with a separate consultation fee.)

Females from age 9 onwards can take the vaccine. The only side effect I got were sore  muscles at the site of the vaccine (particularly on my upper arm or deltoid), which lasted for about 2 days, and nothing else.

Cervical cancer vaccines mostly work to protect against high-risk HPVs. Basically, there are two vaccines currently available: Cervarix and Gardasil. Cervarix provides protection against the high-risk HPVs 16 and 18 and is generally cheaper than Gardasil. However, Gardasil provides protection against HPVs 6 and 11 as well as 16 and 18. For more details, please see the comparison chart below:


I will be going back to Healthway on December for my second shot. Remember, prevention is always better than cure!


Have you taken the HPV vaccine yet? It's about time we proactively take action on protecting ourselves and our loved ones from cervical cancer through screening and vaccination.

Love,
Helen

4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Helen! I already had mine 3 or 4 years ago, I think, if I'm not mistaken. Chose Cervarix too :)

    xoxo,
    Gelleesh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Gellie! You had yours early and that's good. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing and enlightening women. Gotta get a shot too. It's better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just finished my full-course of HPV vaccine last month. You should, too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...