Sunday, December 4, 2016

Hong Kong & Macau Trip (Day 2 at Causeway Bay & Tsim Sha Tsui)

On our second day in Hong Kong, we planned to explore more cities. On our itinerary was Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui. On my previous job, I used to type Hong Kong addresses all day long so I was secretly excited to see how they actually looked like. LOL


But first, brunch! We walked to DimDimSum Dim Sum Specialty Store (located at Tung Choi Street) in Mongkok. This restaurant is famous and it's always packed so make sure to go early. We arrived a few minutes before 11AM (which was their opening time), and by 11:15AM, the restaurant was already full.😲 Above is their menu - as recent as it gets. Upon getting seated, we were served tea. We weren't able to notice that there's an automatic tea charge of HKD 3 per person, which was indicated on top of the menu. So it's not house tea! Hehe

BBQ Pork Buns (HKD 17)

Piggy Custard Buns (HKD 21)

Because I wanted to stuff myself, I went ahead and ordered these buns but ended up sharing each order with Panda and Cindy. LOL. You have to try both! They're SO GOOD! The BBQ Pork Buns were tender on the inside. The Piggy Custard Buns had salted egg custard filling and despite their evil-looking eyes, they're heavenly.

Deep Fried Shrimp and Wasabi Dumplings (HKD 24)

My sister is a fan of wasabi and shrimp, and this was a unique take on a fried dim sum. You can taste the wasabi flavor, but the mild spice doesn't reach your nose. It's good, too!

Beef Meatballs with Sun-dried Tangerine Peel (HKD 19)

I never liked the beef balls served in dim sum restaurants here in the Philippines because they're too mushy for my liking, and I fondly call them "brains". However my friends like it. Panda ordered this one and we all tried it. The sun-dried tangerine peel almost resembles veggies, and this one's pure meat plus that, but without extenders. Not mushy brains at all! It had a good texture and it was tasty. (I'm still not ordering "brains" locally.)

Beef and Fried Egg on Steamed Rice (HKD 26)

As if the beef balls weren't enough, I have a carnivore Panda and this was his other order. The beef is similar to the Beef Meatballs above, but without the greens.

After eating, we took the MTR from Mongkok to Causeway Bay (HKD 13.5). I really love their MTRs! For first-timers, it's a bit complicated, but after a few days you'd get the hang of the interchanging lines and stations. You can go anywhere as everything's interconnected, they're super convenient, and they're tempting me to move to Hong Kong so I could just work there instead.

When we arrived Causeway Bay, there were so many exits we got confused again. Hoho. We saw the SOGO, which was a multi-level department store and took a peek. It was okay, full of high-end brands. The beauty section was on a "Thanksgiving Week" sale and the ladies were going crazy, but the stuff were still pricey. My sister was looking for Island Beverly Centre, which was a mall selling mostly clothes. (She loves clothes, I don't.) I got bored so Panda and I just went out to explore the city. We were able to reach Times Square because I was looking for a restroom and City'super (a supermarket said to have a wider selection of goods compared to Wellcome).

Hello, Times Square!

I didn't bother going around the shops. Nothing was on sale anyway and I just wanted to pee. After that, we found City'super and went around.


True enough, they had an impressive selection of food! I saw slices of salmon sashimi tempting me endlessly plus these juicy-looking prawns.

Me & Panda (laging magkatabi)

It's supposed to be cute, but I'm offended by this chocolate. LOL. Stop cutting trees!


After going around Times Square, we dropped by Capstone Boardgame because Panda wanted to bring in new board games for his cafe. There were so many to choose from and it was quite overwhelming, so the owner gave us suggestions on fun ones to try.


I particularly liked Tummple! since it's like a reverse Jenga stacking game. It's fun to play but I suck at explaining so better just go to Deantonni Hobby Cafe and try it out!

Banana Bandits, also by Capstone HK (Boys game ito, no?)

We met with Cindy and Rosy afterwards! (I MISSED YOU, ROSY!) 💓 She's my sister's classmate who became my teammate at work. (Small world!) Since she lives in Hong Kong, we asked her to recommend us a good place to eat, and so she led us to a building we never would have entered. The restaurant called Satay King was a few floors up, and when the elevator door opened, restaurant agad. Walang door door. 😃


Since it was late afternoon and not exactly dinner time yet, the dishes were at promo rates. (Some dishes I believe were portioned smaller at this time.) I then realized after a few minutes that we had a Satay King located just next to the building we were staying in at Mongkok. OOH.

Lemongrass Pork in White Curry (with rice, not shown)

The crispy shrimps above and the Lemongrass Pork were separate orders, which Cindy and Rosy shared. The white curry sauce is a winner! 💛

Vietnamese Sausage and Shrimp Rice Vermicelli in Tom Yum Kung Soup (HKD 57)

When I saw this, I already knew Panda was going to get this.

Chicken Leg with Fries (HKD 49)

My order took the longest to arrive, but when it finally came after 2 follow ups, I was so happy because the chicken is HUGE. However, when I started cutting it, there was blood inside. I set aside the fries first because I was really hungry, and sent the chicken back to the kitchen to have it recooked. When the waitress came back to our table, she served us a new order, complete with fries.😲 I totally wasn't expect that. The chicken was well done the second time around. No blood sightings. In fact, I think it's the juiciest chicken I've ever had. YUM!

After our early dinner, we were planning to head to Tsim Sha Tsui to visit the Avenue of the Stars and watch A Symphony of Lights. We got sidetracked though by the HUGE Forever 21 store with 5 floors! Cindy wanted to troll my sister Anna by taking selfies in front of Forever 21 and Park Lane Hotel (where she went a few years back). We never made it to Park Lane. Hehe!

Granny sweater

Siya talaga yung nag shopping.

Stop it. So handsome! 😁

Train ride with Cindy and Rosy!


We made it to Tsim Sha Tsui via MTR (HKD 13.50), but Avenue of the Stars was closed pala. Hindi kami updated. Hehe! It was transferred temporarily to Tsim Sha Tsui East Waterfront Podium Garden which we had a hard time locating. When we finally made it, my feet were so tired I just sat at the nearest bench I saw with this view. #TitaMode

Rosy & Cindy 😊

I see a Panda.

Cindy shooting Rosy shooting us.

Season's Greetings

Weather for the day: COLD. It was mildy rainy the entire day. We weren't drenched but the temperature was consistently cold. I was wearing a thermal top inside my long sleeved top, and I used my parka on and off. (I just took it off for this photo.)


And so, we waited for A Symphony of Lights, which was supposed to show at exactly 8PM. Everyone was waiting, but at 8:20PM we gave up. Walang show that day. Oh well. 😣 It was okay. We just went to check out the nearest Wellcome store, but it was small and there was more unique find in their Mongkok branch. (Do visit my blog sale/sari sari store if you're interested!) 😉 After that, we took the MTR back to Mongkok (HKD 5.50) and it was finally time to rest.

That ends my second day in Hong Kong. Day 3 is Disneyland Day! Stay tuned. 😍

Love,
Helen

Let's keep in touch!
Lucky Citrine on Facebook
Lucky Citrine on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...