Monday, September 1, 2014

Homemade Moon Cakes for Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋節

Mid-Autumn Festival happens on September 8 this year, and I am so excited because I don't have work the next day. Yes, it's weird since in my circle of friends only I will be on a holiday. Haha. Kidding aside, I'm also excited since it's moon cake season once again. Hello, sweets and calories! :D


When it comes to baked goodies, sometimes homemade is best since it's made with love (and less preservatives). Here's my first box of moon cakes for the year! :D

單黃豆沙
Black Mongo w/ 1 Egg

The chewy crust is has a rich taste. Gotta love that glossy sheen - it looks perfect!


Sweet bean paste is a common filling for moon cakes, and this one is made from black beans. The filling is very moist and the sweetness is just right. An unexpected treat are the watermelon seeds that add texture to the otherwise soft pastry. The salted egg is a must, or else moon cakes would be so sad without them.

單黃蓮蓉
Lotus Cream w/ 1 Egg


Lotus seed paste is considered to be the more luxurious moon cake filling. This one's also good but I find it a bit sweeter than the former. Then again, I've always preferred black mongo moon cakes since I was a kid.

I'm a fan of these homemade moon cakes. They're freshly baked, delicious, and affordable. Since they contain no preservatives, they'd be good for around one week, longer if you store it inside the refrigerator. But of course, it's best to eat it while it's fresh! :D


In case you're planning to give moon cakes to your family and friends this Mid-Autumn Festival, you may want to give these ones a try! Pickup point is near Banawe, Quezon City but they deliver for bulk orders.

Happy eating (my favorite hobby)! :D

Love,
Helen

2 comments:

  1. OMG katakam! We used to get soooo many mooncakes, I don't know why people are giving them out less and less :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thoughts! Pero pag masyadong marami parang ayaw ko na kainin. Dapat yun tama lang. Haha :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...